The old schoolhouse was built in 1845 which is a protected structure and needed a lot of work done to restore and preserve it. Tynagh Energy funded the Tynagh & District Development Society (TDDS) in order to carry out retoration works from March – August 2007. The Schoolhouse is now the official address for the TDDS.
The Schoolhouse was re-roofed with new windows installed. Doors, stairs and floors are gradually getting installed and soon to come to completion.
This year so far the front stone wall was restored and new gates were fitted in keeping with its era along with new windows. In order to increase the potential for future commercial use of this building the Tynagh & District Development Society also have acquired 0.0706 hectares from an adjoining holding. This will ensure adequate car parking and space for septic tank and percolation area. The area now requires fencing and will be carried out by voluntary labour.
- Date March 11, 2007